MTSS & RTI
Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) benefit students and teachers at all levels of instruction and are designed to help every student succeed and for every teacher to know to help students be successful.
FastBridge Learning offers districts the supports needed to implement an effective MTSS framework with evidence-based reading, math, and behavioral screening and progress monitoring, easy-to-use reports, research-based decision-making tools, and teacher professional development that supports ongoing data-driven decision-making.
What is MTSS?
MTSS (or RTI) is an educational process that provides high-quality, research-based instruction and intervention based on individual learners’ academic, social, and behavioral needs which are identified through screening and progress monitoring. Adjustments to instruction and interventions are based on students’ performance and rate of learning success.
MTSS models include universal screening of all students, multiple tiers of intervention delivery, a collaborative problem-solving approach, and an integrated data collection and assessment system to inform decisions at each tier of instruction and intervention delivery. The emphasis is on school-wide, differentiated universal core instruction at Tier 1; Tiers 2 and 3 provide intensive and increasingly individualized interventions:
Tier 1 (Low Risk) – All students’ receive effective, differentiated instruction provided by a classroom teacher using evidence-based core curriculum. Tier 1 is expected to bring approximately 80% of students to acceptable levels of proficiency.
Tier 2 (Some Risk) – For students who don’t respond effectively to Tier 1 instruction, Tier 2 supplements core instruction using targeted, evidence-based small-group interventions to help them catch up. This supplemental instruction is expected to bring up to 15% of students to proficient levels.
Tier 3 (High Risk) – Involves the application of intensive, evidence-based interventions which are designed to increase the rate of student progress for the approximately 5% of students who need very intensive 1:1 intervention.
Benefits of MTSS
There are numerous benefits of MTSS, most notably improving education for all students. Implementation of an effective MTSS program eliminates the “wait to fail” situation that prevents at-risk students from receiving intervention sooner versus later. MTSS also provides supports to your teachers with instructionally relevant, easily understood information which allows teachers to know what works now to improve student’s skills. And, MTSS encourages better collaboration between teachers and families.
FAST™ Facilitates and Supports Implementation of MTSS
FastBridge Learning helps facilitate and support implementation of MTSS with an integrated data collection and assessment system—the FAST™ system—to inform decisions at each tier of instruction and intervention delivery and provide built-in supports for teachers to be successful and know what to do to support each student. FAST helps you:
- Universally screen and identify Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 assessment and intervention practices across reading, math, and behavioral domains.
- Establish decision criteria at each tier so teachers can intervene early.
- Match instruction to each student’s unique learning needs.
- Easily understand data with school, class, and student reports that will support collaborative problem-solving, intervention identification, and delivery.
- Monitor student progress frequently with evidence-based assessment and use progress monitoring data to target and adjust instruction within each tier.
- Use research-based instructional strategies and point towards the right interventions at the right time.
- Provide the training, professional development and technical assistance to build the data-based decision-making capacity of your teachers and ensure assessments and interventions are implemented with fidelity.
- Document and encourage parental-involvement in all steps of the process.
Explore FastBridge Learning’s options for universal screening and progress monitoring, as well as our new Screening to Intervention report. Get started, request a demo, or speak with a FAST representative to explore how we can support your school’s MTSS program today.