Learning to read is one of the most critical skills we can provide young children. Yet, a large number of students in our country struggle to achieve reading standards and dyslexia is the cause of many reading difficulties.
Although the term is commonly-recognized, there are also some misconceptions about what dyslexia is—and what it isn’t. Test your knowledge about dyslexia (and maybe learn something new!) with our Dyslexia: Fact or Fiction? quiz below.
- Foorman, B. R., & Torgesen, J. (2001). Critical elements of classroom and small-group instruction promote reading success in all children. Learning Disabilities Research & Practice, 16(4), 203-212.
- Gersten, R., Compton, D., Connor, C.M., Dimino, J., Santoro, L., Linan-Thompson, S., and Tilly, W.D. (2008). Assisting students struggling with reading: Response to Intervention and multi-tier intervention for reading in the primary grades. A practice guide. (NCEE 2009-4045). Washington, DC: National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance, Institute of Education Sciences, U.S. Department of Education. Retrieved from http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/ publications/practiceguides/
- Handler, S. M., Fierson, W.M., the Section on Ophthalmology and Council on Children with Disabilities, American Academy of Ophthalmology, American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, and American Association of Certified Orthoptists (March 01, 2011). Learning disabilities, dyslexia, and vision. Pediatrics,127(3). doi: 10.1542/peds.2010-3670
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, 20 U.S.C. § 1400 (2004).
- Kilpatrick, D. (2015). Essentials of assessing, preventing, and overcoming reading difficulties. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Lyytinen, P., Eklund, K., & Lyytinen, H. (2005). Language development and literacy skills in late talking toddlers with and without familial risk for dyslexia. Annals of Dyslexia, 55, 166–192.
- Shaywitz, S. E. (2005). Overcoming dyslexia: A new and complete science-based program for reading problems at any level. New York: Vintage Books.